Saturday 24 September 2011

The birthday present

It was 21st January 1981, I was 15 years old. My brother Adrian and I were celebrating our birthday. I know exactly what I was doing that day, not because of any powers of recall, my memory can be selective. No I know exactly because I wrote it down and the reason that I wrote it down is that amongst the gifts I received that day was a diary. I've been keeping a daily journal ever since and that particular birthday present has become an intregral part of my life.

It was a simpler time we lived in. - Just look at what passed for birthday presents for 15 year old boys in 1981

My brother Adrian who, until his recent decision to "get healthy" I had the self-satisfying pleasure of always referring to as the before twin, on that day received;

-A bright orange 'space hopper' -  from mum and dad
-Various socks and trunks- from siblings and aunties (we called boys underwear trunks in those days)
-A pair of light blue short legged trousers. My brother didn't own a pair of long trousers until he was 16 and then only at the insistence of the school headmaster, but that's a story for another day.
-A flashing yo-yo that would light up when spinning. I secretly wanted this for myself.
-A bunch of bananas- if at any point between the ages of 5 and 18 you had asked my brother what he wanted the answer would have unswervingly been 'a banana'

 This was my brothers favoured mode of transport, he would regularly go to school on one just like this. After a neighbour ask my father if my brother was 'simple' the space hopper mysteriously disappeared.


For me it was;

- An action science chemistry set - from mum and dad.
- The big book of facts - from my siblings.
- A Dick Francis murder mystery jigsaw puzzle ( when you completed the puzzle you could see who shot the jockey, it was a TV camera man who'd done the foul deed) - from an auntie
- A diary - from Elaine; a girl! My mother was desperate for me to 'bond' with Elaine (or perhaps with any girl) Elaine was considered to be 'a plucky girl made of the right stuff'. Mother thought the diary was to herald the start of 'a beautiful friendship'.  Elaine, my beautiful friend, now lives in New York with her husband and two children.

Various 'malodorous' experiments seen me and my chemistry set banished to an old shed and gained me the nick name Smarty McStink Pants.

I think everything you need to know about the difference between my brother and I are summed up in these gifts, he was outdoorsy and fun, I was serious and nerdy. We haven't changed much in the last 30 years. The diary I received that day, wasn't the start of the beautiful friendship my mother was hoping for but it was the start of what has been a life long love of journal keeping.

12 comments:

  1. I often wish I kept a diary. I have trouble remembering what happened five minutes ago, much less in the 80's. I'm far too lazy to keep one though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Rob:
    As you say, what interesting comparisons could be made between gifts received by you and your brother as teenagers and the presents showered upon teenagers of today. And, what differences too between you and your brother, so strange how siblings can vary so much. We have long since been fascinated by this from our days in education.

    We do so admire your discipline in keeping a daily diary and how intriguing to look back. We have only managed to keep a journal when we had a garden but it did make marvellous reading after a few years had past. The price of plants...!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Elliot and welcome,

    I have the same problems remembering things both recent and distant. The diary has been so useful for this although there are many wonderful reasons for keeping a diary that only become apparent once you've got 5 or 10 years behind you. The ability to compare who your are with who you were, to remember who and what was important to you on any given day these things for me are worth the effort. I think most importantly a diary if kept for long enough can show you that pain hardship and sorrow come and go and that the problems of today will become the strength of tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jane and Lance

    It's that old nature nurture argument that has fascinated educators and scientists for 150 years. My brother and I surly must be the product of the differing expectations our parents had for us, although as you will know nothing is ever so simple as to be explained away by a single explanation. I guess my diaries show that my parents were savvy enough to notice our different interests and took the time to encourage us in those. Two pieces of clay no matter how similar, no matter how consistent the potter will ever produce two identical pots.

    You have hit on the real joy of keeping a diary, that ability to look back and compare, whether it's prices, waistlines, loves or which plants grow in that shady spot, the ability to learn from 'ourselves' is the uniqueness of diary keeping.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi nerdy Rob,

    I like nerdy, outdoorsy is boring.
    although I'd probably draw the line at a smelly chemistry set nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. great post! +followed, come check my blog out when you get the chance! http://mightyideas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Where to start? I am still pondering the idea of being a banana. How cool is that? Yet. Is it a wise thing? You have me there, because I can't actually answer that.

    An action chemistry set is awesome, but they should stop including sulfur.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friko

    Thanks very much for dropping by. You are of course right; nerdy is where it's at. Smelly chemistry sets although great fun are definitely best experienced when your young and not bothered about how smelly the house gets. These days I read more about chemistry than I do play with it. I have fond memories though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kerry,

    My brother is still a bit of a banana to be honest. You have no idea how many hours I spent playing with that chemistry set, I pretty much split my time between trying to invent artificial gold and making things explode, I was way more successful at the later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome to all my lovely new followers, many many thanks for the follows. I hope I will keep you amused and entertained, I will certainly try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. at 18 he stopped liking bananas? haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. j. littlejohn

    You had to take it there didn't you! Yes it's odd that his fascination was stopping around the time mine was starting!

    ReplyDelete