Tuesday 20 September 2011

A good slap

There's a couple of great Ulster Scots words that I want to share with you, they are;
'thaveless' which describes being no good at practical things especially working with your hands.
and 'skelp' to roughly strike someone especially a naughty child.

You can probably tell where this is going?

When I was a kid I was known for being thaveless, as in "gimme thon ya thaveless edjot, I'll dae it masel' And then when I was 11 years old, all of that changed, when I made an iron poker in metal-work class at school.

You should have seen it, it was a beauty. I recall the immense sense of pride I had, looking at the finished article. No more the thaveless edjot I was practically an ironmonger.

It was a thin straight metal rod with a twist at the top, the handle made of a stack of glued together red, white and blue Perspex discs that I'd shaped on a lathe. It was a really well made, good-looking, poker.

I gave it lovingly it to my Grandmother for her birthday. The irony is not lost on me that less than six months later, Granny would be beating the legs off me with that same poker. (yeah that's right I grew up in an era where you could beat a kid with an iron rod and no one thought anything of it)

My Grandmother: Margaret Carlisle nee Spence

My Grandmother was what could best be described as a strict disciplinarian. She belonged very much to those generations before modern childrearing practices who firmly believed that children should be seen and not heard. For her, like everyone of that era, love came in one flavour only; tough.

I'd been farmed out for the summer holidays and having drawn the short straw was to spend six weeks with Granny Carlisle. Her house was practically a museum, all leather and linoleum, it smelt of liver and dust and sounded of the slow tic-toc of long clocks. Nothing was to be touched, everything was an heirloom and my every move was under constant surveillance.

Granny's parlour was out of bounds to all but a few

I'd managed on one rare occasion to give her the slip and slid unnoticed into the parlour, the one room I was strictly prohibited from. Telling a very inquisitive 11 year old that he can't go somewhere is a sure fire way to ensure that's the one place he ends up. So what happened next is really all Granny's fault.

She had one of those spinning globes, which at the time, seemed to be as big as the world itself, now however looking at the picture I can see it was a modest affair. What's the point of having a spinning globe if you can't give it a spin, so that's what I did. I spun it fast enough to turn the world into a blur of green and blue and I recall it making a very satisfying rickety hum that was begging to be accompanied on the piano. Timorously I tapped out a high note "tink" and more bravely another "tink, tink" before forgetting where I was and launching into a full blown keyboard bash all low notes and ominous.

It was as if the notes, that were still reverberating around the room, had heralded the appearance of an evil witch in some bad movie. There was Granny, glaring gruesomely at me from the doorway. "ya dirty wee heathen"; heathen being the worst swear word that Granny knew. "I'll skelp the legs aff ye"

After a bit of a Benny Hill style chase I was roughly caught, wigged about a bit and then as if by magic the poker, my poker, appeared in her hand and I received three or four good skelps around the back of the legs that would hurt for a week.

As I limped from the parlour the dying notes from the piano were still ringing in my ears along with the slowing rickety hum of the globe.

4 comments:

  1. Hello Rob:
    We have always regarded it with great personal pride that neither one of us could ever be considered anything other than utterly 'thaveless' although, of course, until this moment we were unaware of that particular adjective. Considering it, and practising saying it, it does have a rather desperate, hopeless ring to it so that it becomes almost onomatopoeic.

    A delightful story, albeit one told against yourself, the moral of which surely must be that it is unwise to manufacture pokers which may, in the event, be used against one. Today, of course, you would have the full backing of the Child Protection Agency and be in receipt of large sums of compensation!!

    However, all of that apart, your description of the globe turning and the notes of the piano sounding out, louder and louder, are so very evocative of a kind of childhood which, in all probability, has gone for all time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jane and Lance,

    I love the idea of claiming thaveless as a positive attribute to be proud of and wish I'd thought of it years ago. Alas however, as you've rightly guessed, it denotes a condition as forlorn as it sounds.

    I do intend to introduce a good deal more Ulster Scots words here and can hardly wait to unleash 'hall-yin' and 'pagchil' which have similar meaning to thaveless but are somewhat more benevolent in their intent.

    One of the things that this blog has enabled me to do is to invest a little time in recalling things that I have not thought about in years. As a child I was endlessly milling about in houses of elderly relatives and friends of my parents, those types of houses/homes no longer exist and as you say that type of childhood no longer exists; I'm not totally sure if that is a good thing or not but I suspect it's not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She really doesn't LOOK all that witchy, y'know. Are you sure you didn't spin that thing a trifle too hard? hmmm?

    I am currently collecting odd words, and I think you've just given me two: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kerry,

    Thanks for dropping buy, stay awhile, I've got plenty of odd words for you. Granny had her witchy moments but I would have to agree that the globe was spinning about ten times faster than it was meant to. My leg still hurts when I think about this!! Makes me smile too though.

    ReplyDelete